The Public Health Promotion Resource Unit (PHPRU) supplies free physical and digital health promotion materials to support staff working within the health promotion field throughout the county of Oxfordshire. We also provide not just these resources, but information on how best to use such resources in order to support evidence-based practice--and we do this using both regular service updates and a PHPRU designed toolkit.
Our resources are intended to be used to support both behaviour change interventions in accordance with NICE Public Health guidance (Behaviour Change: The Principles for Effective Intervention, 2014 and Behaviour Change: Individual Approaches, 2014) using tools like Making Every Contact Count (MECC), as well as empowerment approaches as defined by the WHO Ottowa Charter and subsequent amendments.
Our aim is to provide up-to-date and evidence-based resources throughout the county, and offer a reliable means to regularly obtain health promotion information. There are a range of materials available to order online, from leaflets, apps and books to DVD's and display models covering a variety of health topics including:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical Activity
- Sexual Health
- Mental Health
Please note that all information and resources on this site are intended to compliment, and not replace, any advice or information from a health professional. Leaflets in particular are best supplemented with advice from a health professional and as part of a broader behaviour change or empowerment intervention.
How to use the service
-By registering on this site you will be agreeing to the terms and conditions of this service. A full list of the conditions are available further down this page.
- All publications are categorised by topic and resource type, please enter your search criteria into the search box to display results. To search all resources click on ‘Go’ leaving the search box blank.
- Orders must be placed online. Please note the PHPRU is a staffed by a small, part-time team and they are not always on site so please make sure you book an appointment to make sure someone is available to help you should you wish to collect items. There will be advance notice on the announcements page of service closure.
- Leaflet orders can be collected or sent via the internal mail, you will be asked to specify which you prefer when you place your request.
- All other orders must be collected unless there are exceptional circumstances, and an appointment for collection must be made by contacting the PHPRU after an order is placed, either by phone or email, and preferably within 24 hours of the order being made. Orders can not be collected on a drop-in basis as our small team is not always on site. If an order is not accompanied by an appointment for collection after 7 days, the items are cancelled automatically to allow other users access.
- All orders are processed as soon as possible however this can take 3 - 7 days, subject to staff sickness and annual leave etc. Please bear this in mind if you need an item for a specific date and provide as much notice as possible via email.
- If a large project or campaign is planned please contact the PHPRU to discuss your requirements with the staff. It cannot be assumed that the quantities you require will be available. All leaflets stocked have limits set as to the number that can be ordered.
- Loan items should be returned on, or before, the agreed date so that other users are not inconvenienced.
- Please ensure that all resources are returned in the same condition that you received them. Some resources are fragile and/or expensive and come with multiple parts so taking care of them while they are in your possession will prolong their life and allow more people to benefit from their use.
Conditions for Using the Service
In order to use the service, we require consent to be able to deliver the service update component of the service, which is essential to accompany the resources we loan.
Every effort will be made to supply the item/equipment for the date(s) required, however the HPU cannot be held responsible for delays with delivery or the failure of other users to return resources promptly.
It is essential that all items are returned on or before the specified return date. Failure to do so may inconvenience other borrowers. In addition repeated failure to do so may result in a ban from further use of this service.
Service users must contact the PHPRU to enquire about extending a booking before the return date. If the resource has not already been reserved by another user the booking can be extended.
Items borrowed must not be passed to a third party and must be returned in their original packaging.
Any loss or damage must be reported immediately, please do not attempt any repair. Any loss or damage is the responsibility or the borrower and reimbursement may be sought via your line manager.
Contact details must be provided if you wish to borrow items. It is your responsibility to inform the HPU of any changes to the details.
By registering your details on this website your agreeing to the terms and conditions listed here. The HPU reserves the right to refuse the use of the service to anyone who does not comply with the terms and conditions.